Jan 18, 2011

Gay Philippine American War 03

July 22, 1900 3:00 p.m.



It has been two days since we left Calaca. The skies were cooperating and
hadn't rained so far but the ground we were walking was still soft and
wet. Our boots were sloshing at every step. It was slippery on some parts
that we were forced to hold on jungle roots and vines. This is not good
for the attack.



Yesterday morning, I got a cable communiqué from Heneral Aguinaldo
ordering my men to station along the slopes of Mt. Tanginamo. American
troops were allegedly seen in the nearby town of Lemery, so capturing
them was a strict order. We needed to lure them into the thick jungle of
Mt. Tanginamo and when they're in our midst, we capture them alive. It's
best this way so we can have leverage in dealing with the treacherous
Americanos.



Lt. Rocha is with his men on the other side of the mountain, so today,
it's just me and my hundred and two never-tested men. At least in my
previous regiment, the men I was with in Manila, they were
battle-hardened and their bravery never wavered. This time, I am full of
doubts. The troops are barely twenty years old and their arms are 2nd
class stolen Spanish rifles. I only write to God to help us in this time
of need.



As I looked over to the East, the coastal town of Lemery looked quiet
with its single stone church and cluster of houses around it, but with
the Americans infiltrating the jungle, one can never be too sure. I have
to keep my eyes open tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment